Friday, December 4, 2009

The Poem.


Jon Pearson sent this to me (Yvonne) as pdf files can not be uploaded to the blog. I converted it to a Word document, and then, since Word often does not recognize old typewriter fonts, had to change letters back to the original (ie, in the conversion from a scanned pdf file to a word document, "Zion" was changed to "7ion")


Note per Jon's original posting: 


We found this among the effects of Lennart Edwin.   Do not know who wrote it. 

Now I wonder - was this song put together for a Pearson family reunion? I believe it must have been based on a popular song of the time, what was that song? ~Yvonne



LORENTZ PEARSON and ELLEN SWENSON


1. In old Sweden Land of Skåne
Far across the deep blue sea,
Dwelt a man named Lorentz Pearson
Who was yearning to be free.

Chorus:
Go ye westward: Go ye Westward:
Something whispered in his ear,
If you listen to this prompting
You will have no cause to fear.

2. Lorentz listened to the Elders
Who taught him the Gospel plan,
Then he left his home and kindred
For a choice and promised land.

3. Ellen was the oldest daughter,
Of  Pehr Trulson and his Wife.
They also had heard the prompting,
For a fuller better life.

4. Lorentz wooed the fair young Ellen
When to Zion they did come,
Daniel Wells joined them in wedlock
Then they journeyed to their home.

5. Up to Alta in the mountains
Where they worked with might and main,
That they might procure a nest egg
And a livelihood to gain.

6. There their first child came to bless
Lennart Edwin is his name.
He and Rose have five fine children
Who no doubt will bring them fame.

7. Then fair Ellen and young Lorentz
Came to Jordan for to dwell,
Eight more children were born to them
Don't you think they did right well.

8. Lillian Edith is the oldest,
Stella Evaline is next,
Esther Naomi from the Bible
Then was taken for a text.

9. Next Roy Oscar came a bouncing,
He was such a husky boy,
Clara Florence fair and dimpled
To her family was a joy.

10. Then along came Clarence Norman,
Kenneth Morton follows him,
Milo Willard is the baby,
Tallest one and full of vim.

11. Now then Lorentz young no longer
Back to Sweden he must go,
For to warn his friends and kindred
They must reap what here they sow.

12. Back again he came to Zion,
To his wife and children dear,
Here he lived in peace and plenty
For another twenty years.

13. The summons came and he was ready,
He had lived a noble life.
He the Golden Rule had followed
Every day of his long life.

14. Ellen now is left a widow
But she bravely battles on,
Twelve more years and then she follows
When He beckons her to come.

15. We their children now must follow
In the footprints they have made,
Walking in the path of duty
Prayerful and unafraid.

6 comments:

  1. There Karl, that is the poem. I just didn't get the pdf until today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Skane" is a county in Southern Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne must be correct about the poem being sung as there is a chorus.

    Also, I have started a blog about Lennart Edwin and Rosalind Glover, which may be seen at: http://rosalindgloverpearson.blogspot.com/ If you have any comments, photos, etc., please them as comments to the blog or email them to me at: jonpearsonattorney@cox.net.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorothy Pearson SutherlandFebruary 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM

    I remember singing this song when I was in West Jordan at a reuion of some of the Pearsons. It seems like it was held at Aunt Stella's home. As I recall, it was written by Essie (Stella)and was sung to the tune of the hymn "Come to Zion." I also have another song that was sung to the tune of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." I am not at home now and don't have the details with me. I will try to remember and send the information after I return home. We are in Provo right now at the home of our son John. I'm not too good on blogs and websites but do okay on e-mail. I hope this gets to the blog.
    Dorothy Pearson Sutherland/Kenneth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question: My dad was Lennart Edwin's son; my dad told me he had a cousin who worked in a restaurant in New York City who earned $15,000 per year during the Great Depression. Do any of you know who this is?

    ReplyDelete

If you are posting anonymously, please include your first name as this is a family blog. Thank you!